Chocolate Marquise Cake
- 6 ounces Bourbon or chic. wholemeal biscuits
- 2 ounces butter 6 ounces plain chocolate
- 3 tablespoons strong black coffee
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whisky
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder to serve white chocolate curls to decorate.
- Grease and line a 9" spring-release round cake tin. Whizz the biscuits briefly in a food processor. Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir into the biscuit crumbs, until evenly blended. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press into an even layer. Set aside.
- Break up the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the coffee, butter and whisky. Melt over a pan of simmering water. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk, using an electric beater, until the mixture is thick and foamy and will hold a trail from the whisk.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until holding soft peaks. Fold the chocolate mixture into the whisked egg yolk mixture, then lightly stir in one third of the egg whites. Fold in the rest; pour into the prepared tin. spread evenly; cover.
Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Unclip the tin and peel away the lining paper. Transfer the marquise to a serving plate. Dust with cocoa powder and decorate to serve.
TO FREEZE Pack and freeze at the end of step 3.
TO USE Thaw overnight in the fridge.